A better idea???

Ward Silver hwardsil@wolfenet.com
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:19:57 -0800 (PST)

I think you're mis-diagnosing the problem a little bit, Bert, er, Tree.
The main trouble I hear from others learning TR or just using it casually
is that there are modes *at all*.  Not the sequencing between them.  I
believe K3LR said, "I want a key to do the same thing every time I press
it."

The answer for this type of problem is to allow the user to lock the
program into one mode.  i.e., "S&P LOCK = ENABLE" or "CQ LOCK = ENABLE".
(The latter would be popular on the East Coast during DX contests, hi.)
This just keeps the program in one mode all the time.

To deal with the automatic mode switching, a command could defeat the
switch, while still allowing manual switching with the TAB key.  i.e.,
"AUTO MODE SWITCH = DISABLE".

This combination of switches would address 95% of the mode-related
difficulties, while avoiding a change to the full functionality that
really makes TR special.  While I'm not completely facile with all of
these features, as I get better at it, I'm making higher scores.  Don't
break it, just allow folks to limit it.

73, Bo, er, Ward, N0AX