Why 5 QSOs

Larry Tyree tree@lady.axian.com
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:32:47 -0800 (PST)

> regarding past messagge about editing more than the last 5 qsos..
>
> Why we can edit only last 5 qsos and not all qsos, 5 a time?

It seems it is time to answer this question (again).  Here are the
reasons for this limitation.

In order for the TR program to log many thousands of contacts without
requiring extended memory, it does not have all of the log in memory.
Instead, it only has the dupe sheet, multiplier sheet and things like
the initial exchanges/exchange memory (look in the RESTART.BIN file
contents for a full list).

This mean that in order to edit the log, you need to edit the LOG.DAT
ASCII file.  This is not a quick thing to do, as moving around a
ASCII file isn't very fast.  Also, it would require lots of memory.

Instead, I allow you to edit the last 5 QSOs, which are contained in
a small LOG.TMP file, and can be loaded and saved very quickly.

CT and NA have their complete log in memory and allow complete editing.
However, they also require extended memory for a large number of QSOs.

The other reason, it is hard, is once you have edited the ASCII file,
I need to make the same changes to the information stored in memory.
This is not easy and makes it more complicated.

I feel that you can make these changes after the contest just as
easily (make a note in the log or on a piece of paper).  Spending
time editing something during a contest is not productive use of
your time.  If you have a break - use an ASCII editor and restart
the TR program.  It will recreate all the memory information and
your changes will have been made.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com