[TRLog] UNCLE!!

Al Gritzmacher ae2t@bigfoot.com
Fri, 04 Jul 1997 00:31:09 -0400

>Much deleted
>> As far as editing QSOs beyond the last five, this is one of the prices
>> paid for using an ASCII file.  Unless I keep the file in memory and
>> rewrite the whole file after every QSO (which would force me to use
>> a binary file because you can write a binary file much faster), we
>> are going to have to live with it.  I still believe that this isn't
>> something you should be doing very often - and you can still exit the
>> program, make your changes and then restart.  Perhaps I can reduce
>> the cost of restarting by saving the band map somewhere.
>
>Could u possibly make a key stroke that would save the band map as
>you describe and then automatically put you in the proper editor to
> modify the log ? Easy up down thru the log with the arrow keys and
>auto save changes when you exit (possibly with the same keys stroke
>that took u to edit)  back to the logging program would be nice.
>Fast would also be important as this would most likely  see
>action during a contest. I think quite a few (or maybe I'm the only
>one that makes logging mistakes Hi Hi) have resorted to the alt-n
>or the jot it down stuff to make changes later. I think fixing an entry
>during the contest while everthing is fresh is better. Having to exit to
>dos, run an editor, open a file, change it , save it, exit the editor, and
>then run tr again to make  a modification is too complicated and
>very slow. A quick easy alt-e type toggle to an editor would be slick.

While I personally think it's more efficient to just leave a Ctrl-n note and
edit after the contest is over, I can see this point of view.

We already have Alt-L and Ctrl-L which give two types of log views. I think
one of those could be given up in favor of finding a way to edit the log.
Maybe add a search feature to the control-L and have it do both types of
viewing jobs.

An easy (easy for me to say anyway ;-) ) way to give people a way to edit
the log 'on-the-fly' would be to have it just shell out and use your
favorite DOS editor. The editor could be specified in LOGCFG.DAT. If there
are no serious ramifications to the restart.bin file from editing the log,
this would allow editing without adding a lot of code to the program. It
might even preserve the band-map contents.

The other concern would be what effect editing the log will have on
dupe-checking and multipliers. Do we want to assume that minor edits can be
ignored? Or, should the extra time be taken and have the log re-read
somehow? These are the sort of things that must make Tree cringe when we ask
for 'simple' changes!!!

   / Al Gritzmacher      Amateur Radio: AE2T    Member: HTML Writers Guild /
  / Internet: ae2t@bigfoot.com           Home Page:www.localnet.com/~ae2t//
 / Geratol Net Web Page:http://skyport.com/geratol/                      /
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life, Bright antenna bristle with the energy."
    - Rush "The Spirit of Radio" (or if you prefer - Catherine Wheel)