[TRLog] Hand vs Computer

Larry Tyree n6tr@teleport.com
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:41:29 -0700 (PDT)

The original post on this subject sounded very familar.  About 10
years ago, I made a presentation at the ARRL Convention here in
Portland which said many of the same things.

I have always remembered this presentation and tried to improve the
man/machine interface to overcome some of these barriers.  I think the

1.It is still not clear if existing computer contest logging is superior
to hand-logging based on QSO per hour criterium.

If you are doing the right thing with both (and have a CW memory keyer),
you can probably argue either side of this.  I would say that it really
doesn't matter which you are using.  The GREATEST advantage for computer
logging is the amount of time you spend after the contest processing
your log.  The second greatest advantage is reduction of fatique during
a long contest.  Other advantages are convenience during the contest -
which may or may not impact your score - but certainly makes the
contest more fun.

2.The existing contest logging software packages have to be upgraded to
allow using the best hand-logging tricks like: multiple tail-ending or
partial calls scooping( technique to write down parts of calls heard in
pile-up to work them aftrwards in a raw) etc.

I continue to be skeptical about multiple tail-ending during a contest.
This is a useful trick during DX peditions when you have two pairs of
ears - and you can do it with a piece of paper.  I just don't see
much bang for the buck here - and keeping track of partial calls
sounds very messy from a keystroke count perspective.  Best to do it
in your head and use the tail ending feature.

3.Editing the callsign field of any logged qso must lead to immediate
corresponding change of all qso parameters i.e. multiplier(s) and points
(CT style) and be as easy as possible.

Well - maybe yes - maybe no.  I have taken the approach of trying to
get the information correct before I log it.  The editor is used
when I need to change something for some reason.  For example, if
someone gets on from a funny place and the multiplier is wrong.
I decided to make the editor as stupid as possible - so that I have
complete control of what is in the log.  I didn't want the program to
change anything for me.

I think others have responded very well to the other issues raise, but
I thought my comments on the above would be interesting.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com