[TRLog] Computer vs. manual logging

Fred Laun K3ZO aalaun@ibm.net
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 06:08:53 -0400

I would like to agree with Yuri, VE3BMV/K3BU, that even for a person who
can't type well computer logging is no problem.

I never had a typing course and type with about two fingers of my left hand
and one finger on my right hand -- a self-taught system.  (When I asked to
take typing in high school, the student adviser said:  "With the kind of
job you will have, you will always have somebody to do the typing for you."
 About the worst advice anyone ever gave me, but this was the
pre-information age in 1952!)  Nevertheless, I find no problem logging
accurately with TR-LOG with plenty of time to spare -- and I still do my
own keying with my MFJ Grandmaster keyer!

Re editing the log, I agree with Yuri that just jotting down a note on a
piece of paper and fixing it after the contest if fine.  In a 2500-QSO
contest I find that I have only five or six things to fix, so editing is
not a major problem.  The important thing is to hold off hitting <enter>
until you are sure you have the call right.

I much prefer TR-LOG over CT because you can edit all the parameters on the
line easily and the program is much less prone to crashing.  When a crazy
call is being used that the program doesn't want to accept, you just type
in a call that will work and then immediately use <alt-e> to put in the
correct call.  With CT, on the other hand, you're just stuck.

73, Fred