[TRLog] News from N6TR

swca@ionet.net swca@ionet.net
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 06:43:38 -0500 (CDT)

Such a lively discussion considering "marketing" and "ham radio" are
practically an oxymoron.

Bill, W1HIJ said:

>Putting on my marketing hat, if the purpose of the public domain version is
>to (you'll excuse the expression), suck people in... then I think that
>would be better served with a general purpose version even if it is out of
>date....

I guess that depends how many people you want to suck in.  I think Field Day
probably has the most prospective buyers participating, and it gives Tree an
opportunity to put a current (spiffy) version in front of them without
'selling the farm.'

Up until March I was using 5.68 in my laptop, and it was fine for ME, but if
the point is to snag other ops' interest with bells and whistles, it would
be better to have a version with packet and bandmaps for sure.

But how do you demo packet and bandmaps in Field Day?

Mark, N5OT