[TRLog] POST U E F F & .RES files

VR98BrettGraham vr2bg@harts.org.hk
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 01:08:07 +0000

Somebody may have already noticed this & I apologize in advance if this
is a dupe.

The recent discussion about TRMASTER.DTA maintenance has convinced me that
I should devote a user field to dates.  So off I go, getting ready to run
through all my recent logs again in chronological order by putting them
all together into a single file so I can do this in one pass.

Some of those recent logs originated from the other brand, so I put all
the .RES files together into a single file, too.  But when I ran U E F F
on it, I discovered that POST drops the first space in the line as .RES
files use a dd-mmm-yy format, except for when dd<10 the leading zero
becomes a space.

On screen in U E F F, the dropped leading space results in everything
shifting left one position.  Since U E F F is supposed to ignore lines
of the input file if the character position concerned is blank, there was
no point in going further.

Luckily, I had few .RES files with dd<10, so I spent last night manually
putting a "0" in front of some 2000+ lines of log.  Hopefully others will
be able to avoid this in the future.

73, VR98BrettGraham