[TRLog] TR Log Comments

Richard L. King k5na@bga.com
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:49:13

While I was operating the FOC Marathon I noticed a few things about TR Log.
These are not bugs but things that, in my opinion, could be improved to
make TR Log better.

1. When using the signal-strength manual entry mode, the name and other
station information from CTY.DAT TRMASTER doesn't appear on the screen
until after the signal strength is sent. Sometimes this is a long wait. Is
it possible to display that information BEFORE the keyboard entry
programming module is activated?

2. Can we make the F1 key active for CQing while doing other functions like
a CTL-O or an CTL-J? When I try to look at this information, the CQ
finishes and I have to stop the display, start the CQ again, and do the
mult display again. Sometimes the display takes a long time to paint on the
screen using up the entire CQ time. This leaves me NO time to review the
information before starting another CQ. I did notice that F1 still works
fine if the packet window (CTL-B) is up.

3. I turned on CW chaining and it works fine in CQ mode. However, it
doesn't chain the CW memories in S/P mode. Is this an oversight or was it
excluded from the chaining command on purpose?

4. I think Tree and George are confused about what is being asked when
people say they want to have the keyboard in REPLACE mode for typing over a
"?" in the callsign field. Their answer, to "turn off insert mode", doesn't
address what is being asked. What is needed is for the callsign field to
always remain in insert mode except for the one character position, and
ONLY that position, where the "?" is. That ONE position should be in
replace mode. Also, when you move the cursor from the exchange field back
to the callsign field, the cursor should automatically be positioned on the
first "?" in the callsign.

5. I had a lot of errors in the CTY.DAT that were discovered during the
contest. Is there a way to fix these dynamically without stopping the
contest? Some of the errors caused me to try and dup people that I had
already worked and made it difficult to determine how many bands the
station had already been worked on. I didn't see anything about doing this
dynamically in the documentation, but I may have overlooked it. So I assume
it is something I have to live with and fix it later during all the post
contest activity. But how should I fix this stuff during post contest? Is
this the sort of thing that the POST READ utility is used for? I need a
better explanation of how to do this.

That's all for now.

73, Richard

K5NA@BGA.COM