[TRLog] New computer

Dave Yanke n9ssg@pobox.com
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:00:47 -0600

I also put a faster computer in and put the older one in the shack. I
seem to have a very close set-up to yours, so I'll try to see if this
helps answer some questions.

Gather 'round to hear what Rick Bullon said at about 15:43 on 18 Jan
98:

> My question is I need to get Ham software for the
> old computer( the computer for the shack is a Compaq 100mhz pentium
> 16 meg ram 1.8 gig hd 4x cd rom)

Memory is pretty cheap. For my shack computer, I added another 16 meg
when I was experiencing some odd problems with the network (My main
computer, shack and my son's) and things started to hum right along.
This is not necessary for anything listed here.

> I am going to use TRlog for
> contesting (Tree I will send you an order soon) I would like to ask
> for recomendations for logging software for general QSO's. I want to
> be able to easily convert TRlog logs to the general log also I work
> TEN TEN and paperchasing on 10 meters ( for those who don't know
> what this is it is kinda like a continual contest on 10 meters).

This is almost exactly what I am doing. I have put MS Office 97 on for a
spreadsheet my friend is working on for paperchasing.

>   The shack has a Kenwood 940 I have a if 10b for the rig but need
>   the
> cable from the rig to the computer. I have heard that the MFJ cable
> has problems so I think I need to use the one from the makers of
> Prolog.
>   I know I'm going to need extra serial ports but there has already
>   been
> a thread on that subject so I will check that out in the archives.
>   I have a AEA PK 232mbx for a tnc so I will need software for
>   packet,
> any reccomomdations for this also will be welcome
>    I'm goin to send this to the contesting reflector also so I can
>    get
> more input on the subject.
>   I know I've choosen the best contest software as I downloaded both
>
> TRLog and CT to see which I liked better CT NEVER worked and I like
> the support that Tree and George give for TRLog
>   Thanks in advance

You're right, you have the best contest software, so put the best in
for the rest. Here is my set up;

Pent 133Mhz with 64 Mb (Just up'e it last week, again, not req'd)
Win95 OSR2
18X CD rom
4 serial ports
TS940 hooked to computer thru IF-10b with "standard" serial I/O cable
PK232 upgraded to MBX
TRlog 6.20
W9XT contest card for voice and cw contesting.
LOGic! 5.0 (32 bit version). I even now have log screens set-up
specifically for paperchasing.

LOGic! can still be had in a 16 bit configuration. The only beef I
have with the 5.0 version is it takes a minute or two to come up, once
it's up it's "slicker then...." (you get the idea.)

The screens on both, 16 and 32 bit, are fully configurable. It
uses all the popular Callbooks (which they periodically update for
their customers) and they even have a QSL manager DB you can purchase
or subscribe to. Have excellent packet and contest card integration
and since the author, Larry Tyre, is on of the spearheads, if not
creator, of the ADIF standard, it exports and imports to virtually
any program you could ever imagine. Support is as close to 24 hour as
you can get.

You can visit his site at

http://www.hosenose.com
 or
pda@hosenose.com

They also have a mailing list similar to this one, but it is down
right now due to server problems (I think).

It has enough features that I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use
them all, although I'm going to try to see what the RTTY
capabilities are and give them a workout in the
next week or so.

Hope this answered any questions you may have had.

It doesn't matter what tempature the room is at,
It's always room tempature.
  Dave Yanke - N9SSG
    mailto:n9ssg@pobox.com    http://www.pobox.com/~frrl
PGP Key ID 95299BA1. Email with subject 'send pgp' for key
PGP Fingerprint: 4A 4D 54 3C 2D 27 8D 19 69 42 2E D7 BF 80 10 40