No subject

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 20:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

approved wa6tut
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:04:42 -0400 (EDT)
To: trlog@contesting.com
From: Scott Robbins <srobbins@usit.net>
Subject: Linking 2 computers for logging?
Cc: tcg@k4ro.net

I've never tried linking two laptops together with TR through
the serial ports so I am sure I am doing something wrong.  I've
fooled with it for several hours today and have read through the
TRLog archive for an answer.  Still not sure of myself, and I'm
positive an easy answer will be provided to me!

I've got the two computers talking to each other, sort of.  By
running TR LOOPBACK I can talk back and forth between the two
via the serial ports.  When actually running TRLog, the computers
do not exchange any data, can't send messages back and forth
using the " command.  They act like they are totally independent
from each other.

I am using a very simple LOGCFG.DAT to test this, consisting of:

MY CALL = W4PA
CONTEST = IARU
MULTI PORT = SERIAL 1
COMPUTER ID = A

The second laptop is identified as COMPUTER ID = B.

All I am using for connection between the two is a shielded cable
with DB-9's, pin 2 to pin 3 and vice versa.

So, I figure, it can't be as simple as I think it is.  An answer
for me?  Am I missing an enabling command in LOGCFG.DAT to have
these talk to each other?  Boy this makes me feel stupid, but in
two years with TR I've never tried this......help :-)

Scott Robbins, W4PA

This e-mail message may not represent the viewpoint of my employer.
Visit the Tennessee Contest Group at <http://www.k4ro.net/tcg.html>
             "I sure don't know what I'm goin' for,
               but I'm gonna go for it for sure!" - Grateful Dead