[TRLog] IC-765 issues

Bob Evans bevans@keyresults.com
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:46:23 -0500

  Tree,

Here are the things I'm seeing with my 2 IC-765s tied to TRlog.  I'm running them both at 4800bps since my KAM is stuck at 4800 and I wanted to be consistant in case I had to switch ports.  I'm using the 765s default addresses (44, I think) since both are on separate serial ports.  The transceive problem mentioned by some folks is not a problem with me, so I must have the transceive DIP switch set correctly.  My computer is a Compaq 486 DX2 100.

1.   After changing bands or mode, it takes a couple of Alt-R cycles to get the rigs to respond.  It seems like some memory buffer in TR needs to be filled in order to stuff a command into the rig and it only gets filled after cycling a time or two.  The problem lessens as the contest progresses if the contest is a single mode contest.  I noticed it regularly happening during the FLA QSO party where I was switching rigs and modes pretty regularly.

2.   Sporatically, I get the NONSSB message and the Band qso/mult columns dissappear as if TR lost freq and mode info from the rigs and assumes I'm outside the ham bands.  Maybe TR could hold onto its last information received from a rig until new information is received.  It seems to go into a state of "no info"

3.   Sporatically, I can enter a specific freq such as 14030 or just 030 and nothing happens.  If I enter it a second time, it works.

4.   This is actually a serial port consideration, but after you changed your serial port initialization process in ver 6.15 or thereabouts, every time TR starts up, my #2 rig goes key down in CW until I cycle Alt-R.  The serial ports are exactly the same and they worked fine under your previous version's serial port initialization scheme.

I consider these problems pretty minor but maybe they will help point out a better communications solution as you dig into the 765.  I think all of your improvements are great and really appreciate you trying to help out us 765 owners reach nirvana!