[TRLog] A few words from N6TR

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 12:28:51 -0800 (PST)

Well, version 6.24 is out there now.  Sorry for the few bugs that
were in 6.23 and having to do a second update.  However, it appears
6.24 should be the "version of choice" for the WPX test.

There are a couple of guys involved with the N6RO multi-multi who
have been working hard to make TR a success there.  Steve K6AW, and Tony
AE0M have already tested 6.23 in a network environment and have had
good results.  They have contributed a lot of time finding the weak
spots in TR and many improvements to the program are a result of their
input.

With 6.23 using up to 35 K less memory than the previous versions,
problems with computers running out of memory should be greatly
reduced.  The SSB tests were the worst.  When using the DVP, the
DVPTSR program uses up a chunk of memory.  Even with DVPTSR loaded,
you should be able to start a contest with more than 100K or free
memory.  This would be more than enough for any realistic contest
effort (single or multi op).

I will continue to look for opportunities to reduce the memory
consumption without sacrificing performance.  The idea is to avoid
loosing the gains made in 6.23/6.24 as we experience feature creep.

TR is also being used at W7RM and at VE6JY in multi environments.
All three sites have contributed to the ongoing improvement of TR
for multi-multi and multi-single operation.

The network has been working very well.  We added some bandwidth and
fixed a few bugs about a year ago, and it has been solid ever since.
With the addition of real time status displays from the other stations
(if you have the band map up), the list of "needed" features is starting
to shrink.  Now that many of the "big" issues are resolved, some of the
cosmetic ones can receive attention (like allowing you to view the past
few network messages).

TR was also used during a couple of recent DX peditions!  This is an
area where some more things can be done to make TR attractive to this
market segment.  I have been talking to a few of the big gun DX pedition
guys about this and have a list of things to consider.

Probably the biggest obstacle preventing TR from being used in more
multi-multis is the lack of a critical mass of people who know TR.
CT is the easy choice since 90 percent of the operators have used
it and "know" it.  I have heard of some multis where TR is used on
some bands, and CT on others (we had this situation at the W1AW/7
operation).  Hopefully as more people become exposed to the program
and see the advantages of using it, we can start to win over some
more multi-multis.

Perhaps you have seen that K1EA is working towards a NT version of
CT (which would also run under windows-97 I assume).  This appears
to be something that he will be working on for a year.  I can assure
you that I will be spending the next year trying to improve TR as
it runs on DOS machines instead of trying to port it over to a
different O/S.

George and I will be at Dayton again.  It sure takes a lot out of you
doing booth duty all day - so if I am in a daze during the evenings,
you will know why.  Drop by our booth and say hello.

I know the wish list hasn't been looked at for awhile.  I am now
hoping to update it by removing the items that have been addressed
by the past few releases.  I will also try to clear out my inbox
and put the new items on the list and start working from it again.

There is still plenty of stuff there to keep me busy for the next
two years!!

Four years ago, we were at version 4.16.  Three years ago at 5.20.
Two years ago it was 5.62 and last year it was 5.99+5 db.  If you
factor in the two jumps in version numbers (4.29 -> 5.00 and
5.26 -> 5.50) that is about 105 versions in 4 years, or an average
of a new version every two weeks.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com