[TRLog] Serial config for multi-computers

Thomas M. Schaefer toms@inconnect.com
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:11:45 -0700

I am going to toy around with using multiple computers, but I was wondering
if I needed multiple ports. I assume that I need to use a serial port
connection from the first computer to a TNC. Also, a separate port for each
radio connection, and a separate connection to the other downstream
computers. Does the TNC data from the first computer get sent to al of them?
I think I read that in the manual, but I wanted to confirm.

Regarding the interface between computers, do the connections alternate;
i.e, Pin 2, 3, and 7 to Pins 3, 2, 7 respectively on the next computer? What
about a third: do the pins switch again in a daisy-chain?. Or do you need a
separate in and out port on each computer for the multi-network?

Any thoughts would be nice. I am hoping to link the Field Day computers, so
packet will not be an issue, but the rest will be. How much cable has anyone
used without having to go to Limited Distance MODEMs? I was hoping to use
category 5 patch cords with the pins swapped in the adapters. This cable is
shielded, but I would need about 50 feet between each computer.

Best Regards,

Tom NY4I
See you in WPX from Utah! (I finally become a multiplier!)