[TRLog] Re:Field Day Version

Al Gritzmacher ae2t@bigfoot.com
Sun, 03 May 1998 18:39:19 -0400

At 12:24 PM 5/3/98 -0600, AE0M wrote:
>Hi All!
>
>At 07:56 AM 5/3/98 -0700, Tree  N6TR wrote:
>>I am still considering making the FD only version available as a
>>new public domain version (maybe we a few other tests enabled to
>>give it better world wide appeal).
>
>I think this is a savvy marketing idea.  Afterall, Field Day is "not a a
>contest..."
>

>AE0M, Tony Becker - becker@sprintmail.com - Silicon Valley, USA

I love it when we say that... Field Day not a contest!  It's like a big
inside joke because we all know it really is. How many anti-contesting types
get sucked in to working Field Day with the local club by telling them that?

After all, if you read the rules, the word 'competition' is used twice in
the first paragraph alone.

Now with a PD version of TR Log we can train all the non-contesters with it.
I can see it now: TR Log, the contest logging program of choice for
non-contesters!

But seriously,...

I am chairman of my club's Field Day this year.  I usually go out with a
very small group and avoid the club operation, but this time it looked like
the club wasn't going to do FD for lack of interest. It was a case of if I
didn't step up and take charge, it wouldn't get done. So I volunteered to do
it under some very specific terms. One of which was computer logging.
Needless to say my choice is TR-Log.

A fully functional (for FD) PD version of TR Log will save one problem for
me: Using TR on borrowed computers and installing the program on them. This
would avoid the potential of leaving the full version on someone else's
machine. It saves trying to remember to delete it afterwards or running from
floppies. It might result in more sales of the full program, but it also
lets those of us who are registered users pass a copy around for FD with a
clear concience.

So, a demo version of TR with FD capability might be an excellent idea.

Hope I'll be using it the last weekend of June, not-contesting!

73,

Al AE2T