[TRLog] New Computer Purchase

George Fremin III geoiii@kkn.net
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:12:23 -0700 (PDT)

Jack Trampler - N2JT writes:

> Hello Fellow TR Users,
>
> I am going to be purchasing a new computer shortly.  I will be getting a 350
> MHz or faster machine and am considering the AMD K6-2 chip.  I seem to
> recall that several hams had problems running TR with this chip at high
> speed.  Does anyone have any input or comments on this?  Does anyone know of
> conflicts with the AMD chip and other software?  Should I stick with the
> Pentium II chip?  All comments and opinions are appreciated.

I am running the K6-2 350 Mhz machine here and TR-Log
has no problems with it.

One word of caution is that if you are going to run
windows 95 on this processor you need to get a
patch from microsoft to fix a problem that win95
has in regards to the K6-2 350Mhz and faster chips.
It is also my understanding that this is a windows
problme and not a problem with the AMD chip.

The problem is not fatal - just annoying at boot time - and
then only sometimes.  Microsoft only offers this
patch for win95 osr2 and above - not for win95 or win95 osr1.

Win98 works fine.

DOS is not affected as far as I know or could tell.

You can find more information here:

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/k623d/win95_update_k6.html

The chip is fast and has been working very well for me.

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
K5TR (ex.WB5VZL)                            -- Dave Leeson W6NL
geoiii@kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr