[TRLog] More FT900 to TR problems

Fullgraf, Chuck fullgraf@kcc.com
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:07:42 -0500

Well, I got the FT900 and TR to talk to each other after finding a hardware
problem caused by a gray matter fault.

Virtually everything seems to work except split mode operation. When I put
the radio in split mode, either by pushing the button on the radio or by
sending it a transmit frequency from TR, either the radio sends funky info
to TR, or TR interprets the information erroneously. When the radio goes
into split mode, TR shows a different frequency and expects the QSO to be
logged in the "band" designated by the erroneous frequency.

The following chart shows what the radio display shows, what freq TR shows,
and the percentage TRfreq divided by radio freq.

Band		Radio Freq Display	TR Freq		Pct TR/Radio
160		1800 kHZ		662.3 kHZ	37%
80m		3750			1325.3		35
40m		7150			1994.0		28
30m		10100			2660.9		26
20m		14150			3332.0		24
17m		18110			4002.9		22
15m		21200			4670.3		22
10m		28300			6008.7		21

The percentage difference shows that it is not a linear relationship between
the two frequencies, at least in base 10.

I tried setting TR for an FT890 and FT990 with no difference in operation. I
didn't try any other radio settings. I tried enabling and disabling some of
the other radio functions in TR without any effect, although in these cases,
I did not exit TR and re-enter it after making the change (it may not make a
difference on these ctrl-J functions).

I'm running version 6.36.

It's not a big deal since I don't use split mode very much. I have found a
way to work around it, although not convenient. And plans are to make the
FT900 the second radio in a few months. Although computer control of the
radio was always on the "to do" list, it's priority got moved up when I
learned about the convenience of working split mode.

Thanks for the help.

Chuck, KE4OAR