[TRLog] Using DVK (DRU) of TS850

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:54:22 -0600

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:41:56 +0200 "SM0GNU" <sm0gnu@swipnet.se> writes:
>Hi!
>
>Has anyone managed to control the DRU (digital recording unit) in the
>TS-850 as a DVK from N6TR.
>
>It seems as if the pulse generated via the parallel interface is to
>short and is not
>
>recognised by the rig.
>
>73
>
>/Ulf SM0GNU

It works just fine at my QTH.

The DRU external trigger jack is a mono phono jack.
To select the proper playback memory, you connect a certain
value of resistor across the mono jack. There are three
memories, with three different resistor values. The values
are in the TS-850 Manual. I'm not at home and don't have my manual,
so I don't remember the resistor values.

Hre's what I do for each of three DVK outputs:
Each DVK output goes to a 1k resistor, which goes to the base
of an NPN Germanium transistor. I chose Germanium for its
low Vcesat, but Silicon might work. Attached to the
collector of each transistor is a variable resistor of
approximately the value Kenwood specifies to trigger a particular
memory. The value of this resistor has to be determined
experimentally to ensure reliable triggering of the correct
memory, because Vcesat is between the resistor and ground.

The "high" sides of the three variable resistors are just tied
in parallel, and that junction is connected to the phono jack.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com