[TRLog] WAE QTC receiving

Udo Lautenbach DL2ZAV dl2zav@online.de
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:25:55 +0200

Von: Paul Hicks, VE3BBH / VE3ZT
> This was my first WAE using TRLog, and my first attempt at QTCing. Enjoyed
For me too it was the first real attempt, so I can't speak for more
experienced ops.

> it very much, lots of excellent EU ops able to copy all that stuff without
> fills.
Well, it really is a challenge. I'm not an excellent op anyway, but tried to
do my best. Wonder what the log checkers will make out of it. Remember there
is an additional 3 point penalty on every QTC line with a mistake. It is
very hard when QTCs are sent at full QSO speed. In a QSO, I first have to
copy  a call sign, then there is a break, then a number . That's two (RST is
always 5NN). In a QTC I have to copy up to 30 pieces of data in a row! I
can't do this at the same speed as QSO data. Can you?

Wouldn't it make sense if the software automatically sent QTCs a bit slower
than the QSO text?
Maybe also simply double spaces between time, call and number could help
keep up with full speed. This would be a more significant hint to when to
hit the space bar.
Europeans, what do you think?

I know any change in TR will not solve the problem because
not everybody uses TR. But then I'll have somebody to put the blame on: "I
can't copy his QTCs because this guy is using the wrong logging software."
;-))

Could the line that appears after receiving all QTCs be made to read
"Press RETURN to log QTC ##/## or E to Edit:" ? (the line is long enough)
This would allow me to "QSL QTC##/##" with the paddles and then do some
editing (typos etc.) while the other station is already gone. Now that group
number appears only when the edit window is gone.

And could TR be made to give a beep when this line appears? I stare at the
keyboard (not the screen) when entering QTCs and sometimes miss that it was
the last one.
--
73, Udo
dl2zav@online.de     dl2zav@qsl.net