[TRLog] S&P to CQ switching

David Jones kk7gw@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:00:04 -0800 (PST)

> When I get tired, I can't keep track of how many times I've hit the
escape
> key, or I miss when I was aiming at F1, and don't realize it. The real
> confusion comes when I try to keep on without realizing that the
modes have
> changed. There hasn't even one contest gone by that I haven't
screwed up
> dozen, half dozen qso's because of it, or lost the call sign because I
> escaped it out of existence and my memory is (was) on the screen, or
got
> myself so confused I lost my run frequency reentering the qso and
adding to
> the log with the key unplugged so I wouldn't retransmit the exchange
etc,
> etc. Or I send an exchange when I'm trying to send my call sign.
(This last
> dozens of times in any contest.)

The one thing that I think many people don't get is the Ctrl+Enter
function.  This will step through a QSO but WITHOUT sending anything.
When things go to heck, I switch to the paddles or the keyboard mode,
and complete the exchange, then use Ctrl+Enter so I can keep going.

The only problem I have with CQ vs S&P is not remembering to switch to
S&P...and sending the beginnings of a CQ when I want to send my call.

There is already in place a quick way to switch back from S&P to CQ
modes...Shift+Tab.  And that, to my knowledge, is the only way to
switch back other than hitting Esc.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is, but I've played with TR
quite a bit.  TR is NOT a program you want to use in a major contest
for the first time by setting it up 10 minutes before the start.  I
always set up my logcfg.dat a few days in advance and run some test
QSO's through it.  However, in my opinion TR is the only way to go for
CW contesting, no doubt about it.

73

==
David Jones, KK7GW