[TRLog] Can't abort CW immediately w/ Esc

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg@harts.org.hk
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:36:35 +0000

Somebody wrote:

> Escaping further than necessary happens to me when I start sending the
> unintended or unintendedly. TRlog sends out at least three letters before
> responding to ESC (1000 or more QSOs in the log, 66MHz 486 or 100MHz P5).
> Enough time to hit ESC again. With UPDATE RESTART BIN FILE = TRUE it's
> even worse.

To which K4RO commented:

 I find the same problem.  Hitting Esc does NOT abort the CW immediately,
 which causes panic in every CW contest.  I'm finally learning that a
 single "dit" on the paddles (only if you're using the paddle port) will
 abort CW immediately.  It seems that Esc used to work immediately, but
 does not any more.  Is it really a function of log size?

6.36 (aka 6.35) at VR2BG _does_ respond reasonably quickly to ESC, but does
not stop so quickly when the paddles are tapped.  This represents a change
from 6.35 I believe (if not 6.35, then 6.34 or some reasonably recent
version).

Running under DOS 6.22/QEMM on an archaic Desqpro 386/25, no disk cache &
a fairly small log (JIDX LF CW).

I also noticed what I think to be some hiccups on two-radio operation, but
need to find the time to isolate & report: the dummy CQ to the second rig
(an FT-847 w/o computer control) that contained the RIT clear character
would clear the RIT on the first rig (an MP w/computer control) instead.

Oops - now I've gone & admitted to using two radios in JIDX... according
to informed sources, ^- (dualing CQ mode) was broken about a year ago &
allowed me to transmit on both rigs simultaneously.

Bloody software bugs!  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham