[TRLog] Universal CW Keying Circuit

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:17:50 -0600

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 16:06:41 -0400 "Jack Trampler" <n2jt@fast.net> writes:

>Recently my FT-1000MP took ill and I had to return it to Yaesu.  I
>inquired
>on this reflector about keying the Drake T4XC with the keying circuit
>that
>appears in the TR manual.  I received many replies (thank you to all)
>and
>there were two routes to choose from.
>
>Since the Drake uses grid block keying, the first option was to change
>the
>transistor to a PNP type capable of handling the keying voltage.
>This
>measured -34.5 volts at the key.  The problem with this option is when
>my MP
>comes back I will have to change the transistor again.
>
>The second option was to use the existing circuit to key a relay.
>Pete,
>N4ZR said:
>
>>I believe the C-line uses -60 to -70 volts DC for grid block keying.
>As
>>such the polarity is wrong, and the voltage rating would be exceeded.
> The
>>simplest fix probably is to put a dip relay in the collector, provide
>5
>>volts to operate it, and use the relay contacts to key the C-line.
>
>I decided to go the route of the relay as it will be compatible with
>all
>rigs.  I used a Radio Shack 5VDC reed relay (part #275-232) with the
>coil
>connected between the transistor collector and the junction of pin 17
>and
>the 1K ohm resistor that goes the  emitter.  Pin 17 supplies 5 VDC.
>tested this relay up to 50 WPM and it works very well.
>
>The only question I have now is the relay draws 20ma.  Will this
>additional
>current damage the computer or serial port?  I would think not, but I
>don't
>have any specs on this.  If anyone know for sure, I would appreciate
>hearing
>from you.

Sometimes it's difficult to get an authoritative answer on a
question like this. Anyway, here's one method that Tree
recommended to me last week that will work for sure.

Connect an external voltage source to your relay, +12vdc
or +5vdc, or whatever is required. Connect the other side of
the relay coil to the collector of the transistor in the regular
positive keying circuit.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com