[TRLog] Manual 6.39

D. R. Evans N7DR@arrl.net
Sat, 1 May 1999 10:03:24 -0600

On 1 May 99, at 10:25, Tom Hammond wrote:

> I'm sure you're right!  I'm the one who drew the design for the
> Parallel Printer Port keyer PC Board, and I (conveniently) forgot
> that my LJ5MP has 19MB in it instead of the default 3MB (I think).

Mine has a whopping 512K. (And no, I didn't try printing it because I knew
it wouldn't print).

The amount of memory you need depends on the resolution you're using to
print the manual. At 300dpi, one needs 1MB; at 600dpi (which I think is
overkill for the manual, espencially since the pictures are stored at
72dpi) one needs somewhere between 3 and 4 MB.

I'm not sure what to do about this problem. I'll think about it and come up
with something before the next version. I'm having to travel an awful lot
at the moment. In theory this means that I have time to work on the manual
in the evenings; in practice I'm so shattered after a day of thinking about
Kerberos tickets, theft scenarios, IP tunnels and the like that I end up
eating a good meal, drinking a glass of wine and switching on the idiot box
at the hotel (something I NEVER do at home).

But I'll have something in place by next time (which might be as simple as
a warning at the beginning of the manual about the page in question, or as
complex as a complete redesign of that section).

Thanks, Clive, for drawing this to my attention.

In fact, thanks, everyone, for the notes you send me. As you can see, I'm
still reworking a lot of stuff from the way it was before. Somethings I can
change during this transition period, some things are waiting until after
I'm done with the "new-look" version. But I'm keeping careful track of all
the e-mails that come in.

  73 -- Doc  N7DR

PS

> You're right, doc may want to reconsider including it in the manual,
> although it should still print if one uses an inkjet printer for
> that particular graphic, OR if their printer has ample RAM installed.

I admit that now there's colour there, I would probably print the manual
with an inkjet myself.

PPS Has anyone tried printing the manual with the new release of Acrobat?
Is there a facility for double-sided printing with the new release? I would
have checked this myself, but I haven't been at home long enough to
download and install the new release yet.

D.R. Evans N7DR / G4AMJ                      N7DR@arrl.net

"Palindor Chronicles" information and extracts:
   http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR/drevans.htp