[TRLog] Setup

v31jp@logical123.net v31jp@logical123.net
Fri, 07 May 1999 22:49:03 -0500

Hello Darryl,

"Darryl J. Kelly" wrote:

> This is my first request, and it's simple but I haven't found an answer in
> Questions: It all that is
> needed the 1K resistor and transistor, computer connection and plug to key
> jack?
That's it!
> What about length of cable, computer to radio is about 5 feet,
Mine have typical been 6' long. I never know how my laptop may
orientated, but that has always worked, even at home with my other
computers.
> and where should the components be located, close to computer
> or radio, or does it matter? What about shielding of cable and
> components, or is any bypass capacitors required?
I have used both shielded audio cable and mini-coax. No problems
with either. I have built my circuits up, just soldered to the
computer connector pins inside the connector shells. After I
know it is working, I have potted it with RTV or epoxy.
> Any other transistors recommended or any particularly that
> will not work?
I bought some at Radio Shack, but I always have some 2N3904's
around, little genral purpose NPN switching transistors that
work fine.
> I would appreciate any other information based upon experiences
> both good and bad, what to do and what not to do.
Don't worry, mon! Build it and play with it. It's a learning
lesson.
> Also currently don't have any adverse interaction between
> computer and radio, and am not running an amplifier nor do
> I intend to in the future. I do run balanced feedline from
> a tuner to a center fed zepp at 40 feet. You may reply
> personally so as not to clutter up the reflector. Thanks for help.
> 73,
> Darryl, KK5IB
There can be problems, Darryl, introduced from ground loops.
I have in 38 years as a technical type been able to predict
these. But, with good grounding practices, you probably won't
add any problems adding the keying circuit.

Good luck & have fun.
--
73 de K8 Joe "Palooka" & Beverly
Joe Pontek