[TRLog] networking loggin computers...

Juhan Poldvere juhan@chem.ut.ee
Mon, 17 May 1999 12:53:35 +0300 (EET DST)

> 2) build a central connection which does the daisy chaining in one place. This
> would allow us to separate computers by as much as 2X the cable length used to
> connect to the box. Any position not in use would have a TXD/RXD shorting plog
> installed. This contraption can be made from a rewired 1 of 4 DB-9 switch box
> for a meager $15 new...connectors and metal enclosure.
>

> DB-9 #1     RXD------|
>             TXD---|  |
>                   |  |
> DB-9 #2     RXD---|  |
>             TXD-|    |
>                 |    |
> DB-9 #3     RXD-|    |
>             TXD---|  |
>                   |  |
> DB-9 #4     RXD---|  |
>             TXD-|    |
>                 |    |
> DB-9 #5     RXD-|    |

At ES5Q we use the terminal panel of a dismantled VAX computer. 16
connectors is a lot. We twisted the tails of the ribbon cable to make the
needed connections. A wire with a plug into the first free connector
completes the loop - no need for special dead plugs.
--
Juhan Poldvere, ES5QX
juhan@chem.ut.ee