[TRLog] Multi-Multi network

James P. Cassidy 107770.3462@compuserve.com
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 03:08:16 -0500

Eric, we use the multi network at W7RM M/M.  We have the cable running
around the whole perimeter of 6 operating positions.  Maximum length
between positions is about 20 ft.  We did some testing with a different
configuration where the length from the last to first was more like 50 ft.
There has never been any problems that we could blame on cable length. By
the way we are using unshielded cable.
There have been numerous computer crashes but never been traced to the
network or RF related.  For this reason we have made up a couple db9
connectors the same as the network sees at the computers.  If we have a
major computer problem we can swap the jumper in place of the computer and
maintain the network integrity during the test.  We changed computers 2 or
3 times one test without losing much data on any of the computers.  I have
been thinking of adding some small switches to do the same thing.  With the
switches you could reconfigure to less than the whole 6 operating positions
very easily.

73 Jim KI7Y