[TRLog] Re: Converting TRLog to Windows

Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS w2cs@ipass.net
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 22:37:53 -0500

I guess I'm prone to fits of imagination-hi!!  Certainly for data
entry one uses the keyboard (although pointing and clicking to get to
a call/freq on the remembered list of same would be a good use of a
mouse).  But for lots of things (most?) that are cntl or alt keys,
list 'em on the side of the screen to be pointed/clicked by a mouse.
Swap bands?  Either hit the radio's buttons, or click on a band icon.
Function keys?  You mean there are only 12?   Not with "buttons" that
are mouse activated. Have as many as you want.  Scroll up the log to
correct an entry?  Sure.

The list goes on and on.  Basically, design it so that the keyboard is
used when it is most natural to use a keyboard (nothing previously
stored, or already at the kb in prior activity) and use buttons, tabs,
and other windows-thingies for most other items.  You don't want to be
constantly switching back and forth, so it does take quite a bit of
design thought.

In the above and my original posting on the topic I was actually
**assuming** a CW contest, in case your comments were meant to single
out the CW mode.  I hadn't given much thought to voice or RTTY/xTOR,
but off the top of my head don't see that it should have to be much
different, operationally.

In my view it sure would be nice to no longer worry about DOS-mode.
TRLog is literally my last DOS-mode program!

73,

Gary W2CS