[TRLog] SS CW Notes

n6tr@teleport.com n6tr@teleport.com
10 Nov 1999 23:37:03 -0000

I had an interesting thing going on at W5WMU with the program before
the contest - TR kept hanging!

I was able to make it hang by doing things like the Alt-A command
over and over again (pressing ESCAPE after bringing up the window)
and sometimes with the Control-J menu up.  WA5BDU was visiting and
was complaining about some hang-ups he had before, and the first
thing the program does when I go to show him something is hang.

I did find that the "Force Far Jump" option on the compiler was set
to false - which was the root cause of the problem some of you had
last year with the program.  I was surprised to find this - as I had
no hangs last year.

Note - the last paragraph only applies to programs compiled at W5WMU
and does not apply to version 6.4X.

At any rate - I fixed that, but continued to have problems.  I finally
fixed them by rewriting the BIOS setup.  There was one time that the
date came up a few years earlier and perhaps some memory settings were
in illegal states.  This was probably caused by the total power failures
we were inducing during a search for some line noise.  Perhaps the CMOS
memory had a low battery as well.

The program (essentially 6.45 recompiled) ran perfectly during the
weekend - with no crashes.  This was a two radio effort with two
TS850Ss connected.  The computer was a Pentium-133.

I don't knoe for sure that this fixed the problem, since I was unable
to create any situations with the BIOS setups afterwards that made
the problems come back.  I wanted to share this experience in case it
happens to one of you.

73 Tree