[TRLog] MS-DOS and TRLog

Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS w2cs@ipass.net
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 20:52:20 -0500

Don,

I have only seen the responses that went through the TRLog reflector,
so I might have missed one or two.

I run TR from a DOS window within Windows-95.  I created a shortcut
icon to represent TR.EXE.  I then played with that icon's properties,
looking at TR both as a full-screen DOS session and a window, but both
run while Windows-95 was booted.  I ended up choosing running TR in a
window so I could do other things on the machine without a reboot and
even see the rest of the desktop in the process.

All defaults in the shortcut icon were taken except I experimented
with the font selection to get what I thought would look good to tired
eyes-hi!

I recently ran a 24-hour operation in the ARRL CW SS, keeping the
system up the entire 30 hour period.  No problems whatsoever.

My machine is an IBM Thinkpad, using a Pentium 75MHz, 24MB of memory
and a 768MB hard drive.  A modest system to say the least.  The
operating system was Windows-95B.  The display was run at 1024x768.

Personally, I would prefer doing this to the means you sketch out in
your email.  Whenever I can stably avoid rebooting to DOS, I do, for
maximum flexibility.  I also don't have to worry about SMARTDRV and
AUTOEXEC.BATs, etc.

Good luck in the contest and 73,

Gary W2CS
Apex, NC