[TRLog] Note to add IN BOLD to TRLog Manual

n6tr@teleport.com n6tr@teleport.com
17 Sep 1999 15:40:16 -0000

> This line alone, will decrease backup time from 10's of seconds
> to <1 second, at least with regard to what you see on-screen, and
> in use of the internal TRLog keyer... which shuts down while
> backing up IF you don't have this line installed.

SMARTDRV is wonderful - and I use it all of the time.  Some of
the early problems I had with it were TR Log's fault - but these
problems were ironed out years ago.

One thing to consider about the floppy backups and SMARTDRV.  The
reason SMARTDRV is able to reduce TR Log's response time is that
it will cache the information being written to the floppy so TR
doesn't have to wait around for the slow data transfer.  This means
that there is a period of time where the information you want to
save is in memory - and not on the disk.  In the event of a power
failure during this period of time - you could lose some information.

I have done my best to try and bulletproof TR so no data could be
lost under any power failure circumstances - and even more so after
the disaster at WRTC-96 where the Finland team lost most of their
log.

Personally, I don't use the floppy backup, but I know that some people
like to - and that's okay!  Just make sure you are using 6.43.

73 Tree