[TRLog] Wish List

Kenneth E. Harker kharker@cs.utexas.edu
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:49:20 -0600

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 10:11:41AM -0700, Richard Zalewski wrote:

> After yet another contest these items remain on my wish list:

> 3.  Getting the listening time on  SSB to be true listening time like it
> is on CW rather than the time of the message plus listening time.

I assume this refers to the DVK.  As I understand it, there's no way for
TR to poll a DVK to find out what the length of a recorded message is.
At least not for the popular DVKs.  It is conceivable that TR could count
the time it takes to record the memory (if it's recorded from within TR)
and use that, but given that some DVKs let you record messages without
going through the logging program, that's probably not the best approach.
The most consistent and flexible approach for DVK use is to set the auto-CQ
delay to start from the beginning of the message.  It's very easy to adjust
on the fly.

Perhaps a better label for it (to distinguish it from the CW behavior)
would be in order?

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops