[TRLog] TRLog & Windows98

Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS w2cs@ipass.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:24:18 -0500

Pete,

You can easily check out the fastfind notion and disable it by doing
the following.  Also, while you're there, take a peek at the "stuff"
that your Windows 98 system does at bootup time.  In my case I decided
to disable a whole pile of things that I didn't want or were not
longer necessary.  The approach I suggest is BETTER THAN GOING TO THE
STARTUP FOLDER and deleting shortcuts, because it is easier to reverse
if you decide you made a mistake.  Enabling/disabling is done with
check-mark boxes.  Nothing is deleted for good.

To others reading:  This is a Windows 98 feature.  It is not found on
Windows 95.

Good luck/73....Gary W2CS

>From the windows 98 desktop:

START
PROGRAMS
ACCESSORIES
SYSTEM TOOLS
SYSTEM INFORMATION

At this point you've brought up the System COnfiguration applications
(new to Win98).  Lots of good stuff here, but to focus on your
possible problem:

Click on the Tools pulldown.
Click on the System Configuration Utility in that pulldown menu

You will see a set of "tabs," each with a pile of selectable options.

Click on Startup.   ALL of the checked items are started during system
bootup. If you have an items labeled "Microsoft Office Fast Find," you
can prevent its starting the next time you boot the system by
UNchecking its checkbox.  You might want to browse the other "stuff"
in that checkbox list of goodies.  As I said, I ended up unchecking a
whole pile.

When done, click "OK" and you're all set.  Restart the system at your
convenience and fastfind will no longer trouble you.

If you screwed something up, go back and recheck boxes if needed.
That's why I like this approach.  Deleting items in the startup folder
(Win95) always exposed me to forgetting what used to be there.  Also,
this approach provides access to things that you had to go ferreting
out from all over the system before.