[TRLog] TRLog & Windows98

Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS w2cs@ipass.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:29:00 -0500

With Windows-98, and I believe Windows-95 as well, there is a FAR EASIER WAY to boot
directly to a DOS prompt than using either of the methods I've seen documented here.
[What I'm about to describe is also documented under Win98 (probably also 95) by
clicking on START..HELP, search for "ms-dos," select "to start your computer without
starting Windows."  Follow the instructions.]

It takes two keystrokes at boot-up, one of them timing dependent.

Restart your computer, either a restart or a full power-on.  It doesn't matter
whether the computer was off or whether you do a START..SHUTDOWN followed by a Power
off or Restart.  Just get the computer rebooting.

While it's booting wait for the beep and then *immediately* HIT and HOLD the CTRL
key.  On some computers the same thing works if you HIT and HOLD F8.

You will then immediately be confronted with an DOS-like screen of options. Select
option 5, "Command Prompt Only."  The system will do its thing with AUTOEXECs and the
like and leave you in full-screen DOS mode without doing the additional processing to
bring up Windows.  For the duration of this boot-up you're stuck with DOS, which I
presume is what several posters here want!

So, for two key presses (CTRL and 5) you've got a DOS bootup.  It's fast and involves
absolutely no system changes.

The next time you reboot, unless you do it again, you will boot up Windows normally.
There's nothing to un-do to go back to a normal Windows system, other than reboot.

73,

Gary W2CS
Apex, NC