[TRLog] Two radio/Ctrl - problem

Clive Whelan clive_whelan@btinternet.com
Sun, 09 Jul 2000 16:28:05 +0100

I firmly believe as others have stated that two radio mode is of
relatively more value to small pistols than to big guns,
although perhaps not used to anywhere near the same extent. I am
a water pistol.

However I cannot use the mode in its primary configuration,
since interaction between the two antennae/radios is simply too
severe ( I am talking 100 watts here), and listening on radio 2
while transmitting on radio 1 ( and vice versa) is not feasible.
At their closest, the two antennae are only 2 feet apart, yes
t-w-o feet! One is a ground mounted 12AVQ and the other an
inverted vee doublet, one leg of which passes very close to the
top of the Hygain vertical. My plot at about an eighth of an
acre ( the biggest round here!), does not really permit
alternative siting, and I suspect that filters would only "shut
the stable door".

However what is potentially most useful is the technique of
alternate CQs on radio1/radio 2, which is enabled via the Ctrl -
hot key combo. I guess that most who employ this technique, have
the CQs butted up against each other with zero delay, but
because of the interaction noted above, I have to programme a
delay of say 2 seconds between the two CQs. The problem then is
that if I get a reply on radio 1 and start my response *before"
radio 2 begins to transmit, then the response is sent on radio 2
*not* radio 1, which seems counter intuitive. Quite simply I
have to wait until radio 2 starts to xmit before sending my
reply, which often leads the caller to make a second call or
QSY, and defeats the whole process. I cannot see why the system
is configured in this way, and wonder if it is intended. Why
should a response be sent on what seems to be the inactive
radio.?

Any thought appreciated.

73

Clive