[TRLog] Empty AUTOEXEC.BAT

Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS w2cs@ipass.net
Tue, 9 May 2000 09:54:03 -0400

Charlie,

As I recall, Windows 98 is the first release of Windows to remove the
reliance on DOS.  You go thru startup or shutdown menus to boot DOS if you
ever feel a need to.  Otherwise, you use MS-DOS windows or full-screen
sessions while under the Win98 bootup.  The Win98 operating system itself no
longer even requires DOS to be first installed before Windows is installed.
DOS mode compatibility is supplied within Win98; Win98 is no longer a big
application sitting on top of DOS.

While it is still possible to have AUTOEXEC.BATs, etc., most of the "stuff"
you had there is no longer needed, subsumed by Windows 98 registry and
various system files such as win.ini and system.ini.  AUTOEXEC.BAT is, of
course, of interest when booting to DOS instead of to Win98, but that's not
what you're talking about here.

I run TR on my Win98 system.  I did a normal TR install.  Here's what is in
my AUTOEXEC:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI

Not a peep regarding TR or any other program that looks DOS-like but runs
under windows.  Only this Sound Blaster stuff so that old DOS games that
need Sound Blaster information will still run.

All my DOS-mode applications work just fine, I might add.

You might be getting fouled up by the way you are executing TR.  There are
several ways to "launch" an application.  My favorite is to use the Windows
Explorer (right click on START to find it) to navigate to the TR directory,
and right-click drag the TR.EXE file to the desktop to create a shortcut.
That shortcut should have been set up by the drag operation to have both the
correct path to the program, as well as the correct path to the operating
subdirectory.  Unless the program has squirreled away code in other
directories, that should suffice.

Or, you can use the windows explorer, navigate to the tr.exe filename and
click on it to launch it directly from there.  Works like a charm for me!

Are you sure you installed TR?  Or did you just do a file-by-file copy?  If
the latter, I'd start over again with the install files, do a TR install,
and then see where you are.

In Bill Turner's response to you (attached below this email) his autoexec
has the command "SET CALLBOOK=C:\"  That command is needed for Bill because
his DOS application needs what is called an environment variable specific to
it.   TR does not use such an environment variable.  (Note only environment
variable definitions are in my AUTOEXEC. No PATH statements, HIMEM
statements or anything else!)  Most of that c..p Windows98 takes care of and
is no longer needed.

Good luck/73,

Gary W2CS
Apex, NC