[TRLog] Internet spots

Tim Totten, N4GN n4gn@n4gn.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:04:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, George Fremin III - K5TR wrote:

> If you have a "shell account" from your ISP you can put
> a modem on one of the computers in the network and
> tell TR that you TNC is on the port where the modem is.
> You then use the terminal window (control-b) in TR to
> issue commands to dial out the modem  and then telnet
> to the cluster of your choice.

I've always meant to try this, and just got around to it tonight.  Sure
have lost a lot of brain cells since the days when I used to know most of
the modem "AT" commands!

One hint for those of you who might also be trying this at home without
adult supervision:

EIGHT BIT PACKET PORT = TRUE

I banged my head on the wall more than once before realizing I needed to
add this command to LOGCFG.DAT.  Perhaps this hint will prevent a few
bruises and/or concussions for the rest of you.

Once you have everything configured properly, you should be able to type
something like "ATDT 5551212<Enter>" and log right in to your shell
account.  (This assumes, of course, that the modem number for your ISP is
555-1212, and you have DTMF dialing.)

See y'all in SS CW this weekend!*

73,

Tim Totten, n4gn@n4gn.com
http://www.n4gn.com

* This offer void outside of the U.S. and Canada.