[TRLog] Parallel Port CW Keying Troubles

Bob Wolbert, K6XX k6xx@jps.net
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:33:39 -0700

I'll second Dave's observations... when operating portable, with poor
grounds, etc., the serial output will reliably key the rig when the parallel
port key output locks up. I have yet to lash up a station with such horrible
grounding that the serial port latches!

On the other hand, the serial key port has its own idiosyncrasies. If you
use it, make sure it keys RIG 1, not rig 2. This is because when the program
initializes, it keys the serial line for a while. That "while" is a fraction
of a second for serial keying on Rig one, but lasts until Rig 2 is manually
selected (Alt-R) from the keyboard if it is assigned to rig 2. Very
annoying.

I have tried with and without PTT and serial rig control functions without
solving this annoyance. At home, I use the parallel port. In the field, the
serial port.

73 de Bob, K6XX