[TRLog] Newbie Questions

Marc k1ts@mediaone.net
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:43:29 -0000

Mike,

As a several year user of TR, let me take a stab at answering some of your
questions:

> 1) How do you guys *manage* the difference between S&P
> mode and CQ mode?  IOW, there seems to be no "mode"
> annunciator on the TR screen.  And, it seems that an
> overzealous use of <ESCAPE> can return one to CQ mode
> as well.  Is there some (perhaps subtle) difference I
> could look for?

Yes, one subtle way is the colors for the callsign and exchange fields are
different for each mode...  Also, repeated hitting of the escape key will
always get you back to the CQ "mode".  One tap of the TAB key and you are
now in S&P "mode"...  Alittle confusing sometimes but there is (at least)
one other way of handling the situation.  Set "Auto S&P Enable" to True and
the program will automatically put you in S&P mode if you move the VFO more
than 1 KHz in one second.  This is the way I manage S&P mode.  It is really
hard to end up in CQ mode with this option on.  Otherwise, watch the colors
for the two fields for the best clue.  Anyone else have a better method of
managing the two "modes"??

> 2) I typed a call in the callsign field, then realized
> I was in CQ mode and I tried to switch out of it by
> hitting the <TAB> but all TR did was move the cursor
> to the exchange field.  Not sure if I had done
> anything else, but assuming that this is as expected,
> is there anyway to switch modes at that point?

Hmm,  in version 6.6, when you hit the tab key (in this situation), you are
automatically put into the S&P mode, with a message under the exchange field
annoucing the mode.  Yours does not do this?

> 3) Has anyone found it desirable to use the <SHIFT> tuning feature
regularly?  I found that my admitted
> slowness several times in trying a <SHIFT><TAB> to
> change CQ/S&P mode (I apparently held the SHIFT down
> alone a bit too long) caused the radio to start to
> tune. Yikes!  I disabled the <SHIFT> tuning feature after the second
mishap.

Simply hitting tab (when in the callsign field) switches me over to S&P
mode.  I think this is the default way of working, maybe you have a setting
changed or you did not notice the color change...  Anyone have a better
answer?

> 4) Most importantly, does TR know how to utilize extra
> (expanded or extended) memory for anything but DVP?  I
> have 8Meg in my 486, but the memory count hovers near
> 100K.

Not that I'm aware of.  I assume you mean that TR shows 100K of memory...
However, if I'm not mistaken, 100K should take care of thousands and
thousands of QSOs.  One note, use of the bandmap does take up memory (in my
experience).  I have had low memory issues when grabing spots off of packet
to fill bandmaps for each band, (I think this was a previous version issue
though).  At the time, when I took a break, I would get out of TR and delete
Bandmap.bin.  Re-start and take it from there. No big deal, but interesting.
I beleive this low memory issue was resolved...  Have not had a problem
recently.

I hope I answered your questions.  TR is a highly configurable package.  It
may take a few tweaks until your comfortable.  Have fun,

Marc
K1TS