[TRLog] Booting to MS-DOS with Windows ME

Ron D. Rossi rrossi@btv.ibm.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:24:59 -0500

>>>John Unger said:
>
> > I would like to run TR in MS-DOS, not a DOS window. On shutdown or =
> > booting of the computer (holidng F8 or Ctrl) does not give me an MS-DOS =
> > option. Selecting the boot mode that steps through the commands and =
> > saying "no" puts the computer in Windows safe mode. And the help files =
> > are so helpful, what they say to do does not match what the computer =
> > shows.
>
> One option, which works very well for all DOS apps, is to get a copy of "Part
    ition Magic" and load it on your Windows machine. This software allows you
    to create a REAL MS-DOS partition (you have to supply the MS-DOS disks, you
     didn't throw them out, did you?) on your hard disk. Then "Boot Magic" (par
    t of the software package) allows you to choose whether you want to boot fr
    om your Windows or your DOS partition at startup. The default OS will autom
    atically load after n seconds if you don't make a choice. If you want to ha
    ve a true MS-DOS OS on a machine along with some flavor of Windows, this is
     one way to do it. I think it also works on NT machines, but I'm not sure a
    bout that.

It works for NT. That is how I run with my ThinkPad. Since ME is really a
version of NT (my understanding) if you want to run DOS from a boot diskette,
make sure you have created at least one partition on the hard drive which is
FAT as opposed to NTFS. Otherwise there will be no hard drive for your system
to access.

--
73 es God Bless de KK1L...ron (kk1l@arrl.net) <><
QTH: Jericho, Vermont