[TRLog] Field Day problem

Mike Heideman mikeh@airflash.com
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:26:28 -0700

We also had the same problem logging DX and /MM contacts.  We just logged them
with our callsign, added a note about the real callsign and exchange, and
edited them after the contest.  We were all in a panic the first time it
happened, though, because it took a while to figure how to get past it.

Alt-G is the command used for switching to the alternate multipliers.  It's
useful in CQWW when you want to see missing zones instead of countries.  It
should switch back to domestic multipliers from DX also.  Since there are no
mults in field day, I'd rather not even see the mult sheet and have the
displayed score reflect the actual submitted score.

The other major problem we had during FD was in logging digital contacts.  A
couple of our ops really wanted to try out PSK-31, set up a separate,
non-logging computer, and worked about 85 stations.  The problem was that
TR-Log crashed on about one in every five contacts while entering callsigns
when the mode was set to DIGITAL.  Our logs got out of sync by 20 or 30
contacts the first time this happened because the network was down while the
machine first had to boot up in Windows and then be restarted in MS-DOS mode.
Subsequent crashes were not as bad because someone remembered that hitting F8
at startup lets you avoid going into Windows first.

After 6 or 7 crashes we finally logged the rest of the digital contacts on
paper to avoid disrupting the network.  Maybe this crashing while logging
digital contacts has something to do with the new RTTY capabilities in
TR-Log.  It would have been nice to use the logging computer to make the
PSK-31 contacts.  If TR-Log can already do this we don't know how.

We also experienced very sluggish response.  While typing in a callsign the
letters would take several seconds to appear.  There were also multi-second
delays in beginning to send CW, so much that sometimes the other station would
start resending their callsign or exchange before our CW began.  This was
using a network of 6 computers, mixed 486 and Pentium machines, using SCP,
TRMASTER, bandmaps, TR-Log 6.58.  Minimum available memory seemed to be around
60K.  Two of the CW computers were computer-interfaced.

I also heard several of the standard and some unusual TR complaints from users
of other logging programs...  Why can't we see the rate and last hour counts
for our individual station instead of the whole cluster?  Why can't we edit
the log?  Why isn't the QSO numbering by band/mode instead of just by band?
Why doesn't TR replace the initial exchange with what's been received in the
contest instead of the stale info in the TRMASTER?  Where do we log 75.6 GHz
contacts?

-Mike, N7MH