[TRLog] Stupid question

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:39:22 -0500

At 12:35 PM 11/1/01 +0000, David O Hachadorian wrote:

>I don't know whether this will cure your problem or not, but
>whenever running TR in DOS, I always enable disk write-caching.
>Before starting TR, at the dos prompt, type:
>LOADHIGH SMARTDRV C+
>
>This reduces the priority of disk-writing operations to the C
>drive, allowing other real time i/o to proceed more smoothly.
>
>NOTE: The TR manual advises against this procedure, and some
>people have reported problems, but I find it essential on my
>old clunker machine and other machines where I have
>operated as a guest.

It's not necessary on my 200 MHz MMX to get good CW, but I bow to Dave's
experience.  just one caution -- if someone has enabled
Doublespace/Drivespace on your clunker, don't use write caching.  If you
should have a crash or power failure while it is writing, this can corrupt
the entire hard drive, since the Doublespace process creates what is
essentially one big file.

Been there, (ouch) done that.

73, Pete N4ZR