[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Clive Whelan clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:44:33 +0100

Gil Baron wrote:

> I made the break and have destroyed most of my dos programs.
> I do keep TRLOG. There may be times I will still use ti , but
> not likely.

Me too, and that from the perspective of a DOS dinosaur!

I also migrated concurrently to Writelog, and it is becoming
harder to revert to TR. Mostly I modify an existing module, and
massage the log post contest.

There is no question that TR still has the superior
functionality for CW ( I cannot speak for SSB or RTTY), but my
8ftx6ft shack is just too small for a separate DOS machine, and
my 200Mhz Pentium is pretty marginal for running e.g. Logic5 as
the day to day logging prog. TR also has by far the better
vendor support, and from a genuine CW contest op, which is *not*
available in WL.

I therefore believe that it was a disaster when the project to
port TR to Windows foundered. I hope I am not being too cynical
in opining that from that very point TR seems to have stagnated,
and I believe there have been no updates since that time. From
the p.o.v. of a life subscriber, that is rather disappointing. I
would certainly urge Tree to try to resurrect the Windows
project and all of you guys to encourage him so to do.

73

Clive
GW3NJW
gw3njw@gw7x.org