[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Gil Baron gbaron@home.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:46:39 -0500

--=====================_173632440==_.ALT

At 14:31 10/15/2001, Jim Smith wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have never used a hardware keyer so I may be talking nonsense
>here.  It seems to me that if clean cw is the main issue with
>respect to cw in a Win environment it shouldn't be too hard to
>make a hardware box that receives ASCII from the computer,
>converts it to Morse and drives a relay to key the rig.  Now the
>only timing issue is to meter out the ASCII symbols from a buffer
>at the desired wpm rate.  Heck, maybe even I could do it.

Such keyers already exist. The cost is prohibitive for most and not needed
in any case for most.

>This would obviously add to the cost but, if it was supplied in
>kit form, I would think that, TRLoggers being a hardy lot, it
>could be an acceptable workaround.
>
>So, blaze away, tell me where I am wrong
>
>73 de Jim Smith VE7FO
>
>LogWindows@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > To do CW flawlessly in the Win32 environment would require a vxd,
> kernel mode
> > or WDM level device driver (depending on the O/S, since all flavors of
> > Windows dont use the same device driver model). This code  would run at
> Ring
> > 0 of the processor, where it would be able to preempts the O/S at the
> > processor level and provide real time CW.
> >
> > Good device driver coders want about $60,000 to $80,000 a year.
>
>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog
>Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
>Feature Wishlist:         http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_173632440==_.ALT

At 14:31 10/15/2001, Jim Smith wrote:<br><br>
I have never used a hardware keyer so I may be talking nonsense<br>
here.&nbsp; It seems to me that if clean cw is the main issue with<br>
respect to cw in a Win environment it shouldn't be too hard to<br>
make a hardware box that receives ASCII from the computer,<br>
converts it to Morse and drives a relay to key the rig.&nbsp; Now
the<br>
only timing issue is to meter out the ASCII symbols from a buffer<br>
at the desired wpm rate.&nbsp; Heck, maybe even I could do it.<br>
Such keyers already exist. The cost is prohibitive for most and not
needed in any case for most.<br><br>
cost but, if it was supplied in<br>
kit form, I would think that, TRLoggers being a hardy lot, it<br>
could be an acceptable workaround.<br><br>
So, blaze away, tell me where I am wrong<br><br>
73 de Jim Smith<x-tab>&nbsp;</x-tab>VE7FO<br><br>
LogWindows@aol.com wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; To do CW flawlessly in the Win32 environment would require a vxd,
kernel mode<br>
&gt; or WDM level device driver (depending on the O/S, since all flavors
of<br>
&gt; Windows dont use the same device driver model). This code&nbsp;
would run at Ring<br>
&gt; 0 of the processor, where it would be able to preempts the O/S at
the<br>
&gt; processor level and provide real time CW.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Good device driver coders want about $60,000 to $80,000 a
year.<br><br>
--<br>
FAQ on
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Submissions:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
trlog@contesting.com<br>
Administrative requests:&nbsp; trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com<br>
Problems:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
owner-trlog@contesting.com<br>
Feature
Wishlist:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>
&quot;Baila como nadie te ve&quot; <br>