[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Gil Baron gbaron@home.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 06:03:25 -0500

--=====================_37963819==_.ALT

At 00:55 10/16/2001, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:

> > >Mickey Sloth hasn't put in a minute on dos box code in almost a
>decade.
> > >It is the demise of the dos box (to FORCE us to buy windows programs
> > >replace the old ones) that is the problem here.
> >

> > That is not true. It is impossible to have a stable windows AND a dos
>box .
> > You simply cannot allow the application to have access to ring 0 code.
> >

>Read the message: Need a WINDOWS program that acts as a shell for old
>dos programs.

And you cannot  do that with stability because old dos programs need direct
access to the hardware and win2000 will not permit that without a device
driver and then you do not have direct access. Vicious un fixable circle,
sorry. I am talking about WIN NT-2000-XP here.

>I'm NOT talking about running DOS.
>
>It certainly IS true that MS has spent little effort on legacy
>compatibility for a long time now.
>
>73

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_37963819==_.ALT

At 00:55 10/16/2001, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:<br><br>
&gt; &gt;Mickey Sloth hasn't put in a minute on dos box code in almost
a<br>
decade.<br>
&gt; &gt;It is the demise of the dos box (to FORCE us to buy windows
programs<br>
to<br>
&gt; &gt;replace the old ones) that is the problem here.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; That is not true. It is impossible to have a stable windows AND a
dos<br>
box .<br>
&gt; You simply cannot allow the application to have access to ring 0
code.<br>
&gt;<br><br>
Read the message: Need a WINDOWS program that acts as a shell for
old<br>
dos programs.<br>
And you cannot&nbsp; do that with stability because old dos programs need
direct access to the hardware and win2000 will not permit that without a
device driver and then you do not have direct access. Vicious un fixable
circle, sorry. I am talking about WIN NT-2000-XP here.<br><br>
DOS.<br><br>
It certainly IS true that MS has spent little effort on legacy<br>
compatibility for a long time now.<br><br>
73</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>
&quot;Baila como nadie te ve&quot; <br>