[TRLog] POST 6.59 Cabrillo & A-P Sprint

Richard Ferch ve3iay@rac.ca
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:38:44 -0400

> Seems to omit the CONTEST: parameter.
>
> 73, VR2BrettGraham

When a contest is not on the official list in the Cabrillo specification,
POST doesn't include a CONTEST: line. AP-SPRINT was added to the official
list fairly recently, I believe, so POST hasn't caught up yet.

There's a much more critical problem with POST's output, though. POST
doesn't get the QSO: line format right for contests that are not in the
supported list. Nothing at all appears in the sent exchange, and the
received exchange has the sent RST in front of it. That is, if our first
contact was with each other, the QSO: line in my log would look like (as
tested using version 6.59):
QSO: 21000 CW 2001-10-21 0001 VE3IAY                   VR2BG         599 599
1
when it should look like:
QSO: 21000 CW 2001-10-21 0001 VE3IAY        599      1 VR2BG         599 1

Fortunately, there is an easy workaround. Copy your LOGCFG.DAT file and your
LOG.DAT file into a temporary folder or subdirectory, and edit the contest
name in the LOGCFG.DAT file from AP SPRINT to CQ WPX. Now run POST and
generate the Cabrillo file. Using a text editor, edit the CONTEST: line in
this Cabrillo file to change it from CONTEST: CQ-WPX-CW to CONTEST:
AP-SPRINT and you're done.

This works whenever the exchange in the unsupported contest is the same as
the exchange in a supported contest. Just lie to POST about the contest name
and patch things up later. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but this is
one case where it works.

73,
Rich VE3IAY