[TRLog] SO2R with dissimilar radios and embedded commands

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:23:10 -0400

I'm in the process of setting for CW SO2R with a Kenwood TS-930/PIEXX and
an FT1000MP Mark V.  FYI, the PIEXX board uses a subset of the standard
Kenwood command set.

I think that the feature in 6.59 that allows you to embed hex radio
commands in CW messages will be very useful with the Mark V, because I want
to be able to automatically turn off the EDSP audio peaking filter before a
CQ or QRZ.  With both radios, I want to be able to clear the RIT in the
same CW messages.

What I'm a little concerned about, though, is unexpected results from the
Kenwood radio if I send a canned CW message which causes the transmission
of  hex commands to it.  Has anyone tried this one yet, and what happened?
Will the string of characters be ignored because there's no semicolon at
the end, or... ?

I know, you'll probably just tell me to try it and see, but I'm a little
squeamish.

73, Pete N4ZR