[TRLog] XP and DOS Now Play Nicely Together

Mark S. Adams, P.E. msadams@acsu.buffalo.edu
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:26:06 -0400

Gang,

After a few postings earlier this year trying to get help with running TR
under XP, and getting no where, I resorted to buying a copy of Partition
Magic. It lives up to its name.

If you recall, my then new Dell laptop came with XP preinstalled. Numerous
attempts to delete XP were met with failure. Even my IT guy could not erase
it! (I planned on stating with a clean disk and loading DOS and Win98 with
dual boot.) Since I could not get the keying or rig control to work in XP I
went with Partition Magic. So now my hard drive has a 500MB FAT partition
with DOS, a 2Gig FAT32 patition for Win98SE and a 7Gig NTFS patition for
XP.  All done on the fly with NO DATA LOSS, very cool.

Boot Magic even lets me select the operating system at startup. Booting to
DOS takes all of about 6 seconds with my 900MHz machine.

So, if you have an XP machine and are having troubles, you might consider
Partition Magic. Did I mention that it is on sale this week at CompUSA?

Naturally, the usual fine print and disclaimers are included here, yada
yada....

Oh, the learing curve for the software is a bit steep. You will likely need
a few hours to make this work.

73,
Mark K2QO

Mark S. Adams, P.E.
University at Buffalo
Occupational and Environmental Safety
220 Winspear Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14215-1034
Tel: 716.829.3707 ext. 25  Fax: 716.829.2704
Pager: 716.774.2260