[TRLog] TRLog and serial ports, 2

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 10:31:21 -0500

At 08:25 AM 12/8/02 -0600, rpb wrote:
>tnx bernie and gary for the responses....
>
>if there is some suspicion that the serial ports are not setup
>correctly/completely, then i could write come code to do so that can run
>before i kick off TRLog.   I may have to resort to writing code to dump
>the 16550 config anyway from within the DOS penalty box....

At some point I think I'd consider reinstalling Win98, but that's just
because these motherboard/OS combinations are endlessly frustrating.

Another thing to pay attention to when running TR is a DOS window -- make
sure the system clock is keeping good time.  I have discovered, for
example, that with my new Athlon machine under 98SE, switching a mechanical
KVM switch to move keyboard, mouse and monitor to another computer, and
then moving back, will sometimes corrupt the timekeeping of the OS.  This
manifests as a loss of time varying from a few seconds an hour to hundreds
of seconds an hour.  Moreover, the loss of time continues even after
keyboard, mouse and monitor are back on the affected computer, until you
reboot, at which point things are dead accurate again.    Curiously, this
does not happen with the second, slower computer -- it stays right on time.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower