[TRLog] TRLog and serial ports, 2

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:11:54 -0500

At 11:42 PM 12/9/02 -0500, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
>Most of the motherboard clocks I have seen keep close enough time
>while the cpu is powered up. A few of mine keep time within a second a
>month. Certainly good enough to keep the minute for a weekend.

Two weeks ago I would have agreed.  Since then I've seen otherwise in two
machines running under Win98SE, one with an 800 Athlon, the other with a
1700+, both of which will keep very good time for hours and suddenly go
walkabout, losing (always losing) time on the order of 20 seconds an hour
or more.  I've researched this some on the net -- Microsoft says it can be
caused by third-party software.  Translation, "don't bother us".  Others
point to a bug in the OS affected by some audio operations (that doesn't
seem to be my problem).

Fortunately, my TRLog computer seems to keep pretty good time, but it ain't
necessarily so.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower