[TRLog] Networking Dedicated TR Machine

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:05:06 -0500

I hope some of the computer jocks here can help me out.

I am building up a separate computer to use for TRLog only.  My main shack
computer is Ethernetworked to a hub downstairs, to which are connected my
wife's computer and our cable modem.  I would like to network the TR
machine to the main shack machine, but don't know how to do it.  Two
possibilities occur to me --

Use a second hub upstairs in the shack, connected to the two PCs and the
network cable going downstairs.  I think this should work and hubs are
cheap, but will it?

Use a second NIC in the shack computer and run a network cable to the TR
machine.  I don't know if Win98SE can support what amount to two networks
at once.  Would I have to run Windows on the TR machine, or is there such a
thing as a DOS driver for a 10 MHz Ethernet card?

Thanks!

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at