[TRLog] PTT output from the parallel port

Larry Menzel retire@rconnect.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:30:51 -0600

Hello everyone,

I have had some great success with TRLog and SBDVP which uses a Sound
Blaster card to do all the work.

Check out the free software and information at:
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/sbdvp/

What you are able to do with this program and the SB card, is have all the
same memory flexibility of TRLog
in the CW mode but in SSB.  In other words, you can record YOUR voice in all
the F, ALT-, and CTL memories
just like in cw.  WOW, neat...I have lots of messages recorded and can move
them from contest to contest
dependent upon the exchange required.

This works extremely well with my SO2R Master from Array Solutions as well,
and BIG advantage here is
that just like in cw, TR knows when the transmission is complete and unkeys
the transmitter...Neat, eh?

Now, here are a couple other things.  First. For SSB 'tests, you have to run
TR in a DOS window inside Windows to take
advantage of the Windows soundcard drivers.  I've done this now quite a few
times, and it seems to work just
fine.  I have a PII 333MHz machine, so it's fast enough to handle it...don't
know what it'll do on a slower or
older machine.  Second.  All sound inputs must be done with a mike connected
to the sound card, which means
that you can't record on the fly, like with the DVK board, unless you have a
separate mic hooked up all the time.
Third.  You have to build a simple DTSP switch to be able to use your
headset or mic.  My Heil is wired into
the little switch and I use a footswitch to go between the microphone and
the soundcard input to the SO2R box...
works great.  My SO2R Master then directs the mic input to the radio that's
"hot" at the moment.

I'll be happy to correspond with anyone who wants to try it and has problems
getting it going.  The only
small things are recorder input levels, etc,. and you need someone to listen
on your frequency so as to
set your mic gain for undistorted SSB levels.

Good Luck, and 73

Larry N0XB
Northfield, MN